- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each seperate sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
- Smoke rises; install smoke alarms following manufacturer’s instructions high on a wall or on a ceiling. Ceiling mounted alarms should be installed at least four inches away from the nearest wall; wall-mounted alarms should be installed four to 12 inches away from the ceiling. If you have ceilings that are pitched, install the alarm near the ceiling’s highest point.
- Don’t install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.
- Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least twice a year. If an alarm “chirps,” warning the battery is low, replace battery right away.
- Never paint smoke alarms. Paint, stickers, or other decorations could keep the alarms from working.